Fear is the opposite of everything you are, and so has an effect of opposition to your mental and physical health.
— Neale Donald Walsch
Several years ago, when I was studying to be a health coach and certified personal trainer, hours and hours were spent with instructors who hammered in the importance of our mindset. What role do our thoughts play when it comes to exercise, eating right, maintaining a healthy weight and being our happiest selves?
It’s important to be reminded that if we learn how to change our minds, we change our bodies. It doesn’t matter if you’ve spent 20 years in the wellness industry, or if this moment is the first 20 seconds after you decided to take control of how your own health and happiness.
See, our bodies are physical incarnations of our internal thoughts and our internal belief systems. Our health “problems” and worries, such as wanting to feel more energized or lose a little weight or gain a little more lean muscle mass, may seem like issues on the level of our physical body. But the solution doesn’t just exist on the body level. It also exists on the level of our mind and spirit.
Our mindset and internal beliefs are part of the holy trinity of true health. I like to make the analogy that our health is a three-legged chair:
- One leg of the chair is scientific research that tells us what works best for our fitness, diet and wellness.
- The second leg is action — putting this research into practice.
- The third leg, and the one that most of us miss, is our belief system. This is the driving force — our inner power, our motivation, the glue that holds our goals together. Without it, our poor chair topples.
Over the next few months, I’ll be tackling the intersection of mindset and health, drawing from the psychological text known as A Course in Miracles. This is not about religion or spirituality, but about understanding and using our own perception to help us achieve our wellness goals and become the happiest, healthiest person we’ve ever met.
In each lesson, we’ll explore together some of the basic messages in the lesson and learn:
- How we can empower our approach to physical health, including diet, weight loss, nutrition, exercise, sleep, energy and exercise recovery
- How the process of taking control of our health helps us get closer to our true inner self and be filled with more peace and happiness
I can’t wait to walk this journey with you and grow ourselves, physically, emotionally and spiritually!
New lessons every Friday.
May we learn to embrace our inner light and our outer health and become the ultimate fulfillment of our divine identity. And so it is.